Literary quote of the moment


Some seventeen notable empires rose in the Middle Period of Earth. These were the Afternoon Cultures. All but one are unimportant to this narrative, and there is little need to speak of them save to say that none of them lasted for less than a millenium, none for more than ten; that each extracted such secrets and obtained such comforts as its nature (and the nature of the Universe) enabled it to find; and that each fell back from the Universe in confusion, dwindled and died.

The last of them left its name written in the stars, but noone who came later could read it. More important, perhaps, it built enduringly despite its failing strength - leaving certain technologies that, for good or ill, retained their properties of operation for well over a thousand years. And more important still, it was the last of the Afternoon Cultures, and was followed by Evening, and by Viriconium.

-M. John Harrison, The Pastel City


Comments

  1. Awesome painting, awesome quote. Must get my hands on it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It was in my mailbox this morning, finally. I've wanted to read this for 8 years or so, got my hands on it at last...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Read it quickly, so I can get my hands on it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I can lend you Vance in the meantime.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment